Robert Cheng at Berkeley National Laboratory has developed a means for retrofitting existing burners to burn lean, premixed natural gas/air mixtures to reduce NOx emissions without sacrificing efficiency and burner design simplicity.
New burner designs can also incorporate the basic principle of this device. This technology answers the needs of meeting clean air standards by application of a simple and economic method to reduce the emission of pollutants. This Berkeley National Laboratory device is best suited for small- to medium-sized water heaters and forced-air furnaces.
Applications and Industries
- Small-to-medium water heater and forced-air furnace retrofits
- Reduction of air pollution
- Allows natural gas burners to burn lean
- Economical, simple retrofit
- Meets clean air standards