In current systems, however, efficiency has been limited by crystallization at the solution heat exchanger outlet and at the absorber. ORNL researchers found a way to avoid crystallization by increasing evaporating pressure. Further crystallization is averted by directing the process water first through the absorber and then through the condenser. The water flow direction can be changed at run-time to optimize performance.
Applications and Industries
- Residential and commercial water heating
- Alternative versions offer industrial process heat generation and boiler preheating
- Energy efficient and environmentally friendly
- Substantial energy savings compared with conventional gas-fired water heaters
- Lithium bromide water absorption, now commercialized for cooling applications, is easily available